|Amount||Volume||Ingredient||$ / day||Source|
|1||pill||Multivitamin||$0.03||Amazon - Kirkland Signature|
|73||g||Whey protein||$0.87||Bulk Foods|
|0.5||pill||Calcium and vitamin D||$0.02||Amazon|
|1||pill||600||capsule||Alpha-galactosidase enzyme (Beano)||$0.05||Walmart Online|
|3||g||Xanthan Gum||$0.17||Bob's Red Mill|
|40||g||Flaxseed, fresh ground||$0.15||Bob's Red Mill|
|44||g||Oat flour||$0.10||Bob's Red Mill|
|176||g||Corn flour, nixtamalized||$0.17||Corn Flour, Nixtamalized|
|33||g||Wheat bran, crude||$0.06||Bob's Red Mill|
|115||g||Barley flour||$0.18||Smart Foodservice https://www.smartfoodservice.com|
Total Daily Cost:
|$2.33||Add Ingredients |
to Amazon Cart
A two-week's supply of soylent is about the right volume to mix in a 20 l / 5 gal bucket. Measure amounts on a digital scale in a very large bread mixing bowl (large enough to hold about 3 kg of flour) and put it into the bucket for mixing.
A spreadsheet calculator for mixing a batch for number of days you want of the mix comes in handy. Just replace the "Days to Mix" number with the number of days you want to mix for your batch size.
The ingredient mixing order:
- Oil Powder Ingredients
- Measure the oil into a stand mixer bowl first
- Add Lecithin and let soak for one hour before further processing. Heating the oil to about 40 degrees Celsius either before adding to the mixing bowl, or with a heat gun while mixing helps the lecithin liquefy and combine with the oil. Go ahead and mix the ingredients for the Dry Ingredients step in the mean time.
- Add the Xanthan Gum powder and the ascorbic acid to the oil and thoroughly combine.
- Add the rest of the Oil Ingredients, and lastly, add the Wheat Bran to the oil mixture and blend. This is the "powdered" form of the only liquid ingredient
- Dry Ingredients
- Flaxseed will clump together while processing. Combine the flaxseed half-and-half with the measured barley flour during processing to avoid clumping. A Vitamix "Dry Grain" mixing container works great while working in smaller batches of ~100 ml.
- Add the dry ingredients into a 20 l / 5 gal bucket in any order. Also add the above powdered oil ingredients into the mixing bucket
- Pill Ingredients
- Blend the pill quantities calculated from the above spreadsheet in a small coffee grinder into a fine powder, but without overheating the contents, and beware of breathing the dust.
- Weigh the remaining non-pill vitamin components on a digital scale and add to the mixing container
- Give the contents of the mixing container a brief mixing with a stirrer. The Gamma lid has a honeycomb of crevices which will trap the material at the top of the bucket. A brief pre-mix keeps your pill contents from being lost or poorly mixed.
The following worked well for mixing a 14 day supply of soylent:
- Add a mixing "fin" made of 2 cm x 2 cm angled aluminum to the inside of a 20 l / 5 gal bucket to stir the contents. Also add a "Gamma Seal" top (see attached images).
- Add unmixed soylent to the bucket, seal the top tightly. Place in a clothes dryer along with two more buckets to take-up space, and pack with pillows to prevent the buckets from shifting around.
- Run the dryer on tumble mode (NO heat) for at least 30 minutes. Use the time waiting for mixing to clean up the awful mess you made while preparing the soylent.
- Vacuum seal 900 ml of soylent into 1 l glass Mason jars, approximately 400 g per jar, and store jars in a freezer
- Keeping the 9.2 recipe and adding ascorbic acid as a preservative with no extra adjustments