|Amount||Volume||Ingredient||$ / day||Source|
|140||g||2||cups||ON Whey Protein Isolate Gold Standard 100%||$3.28||Amazon|
|1||pill||1||capsule||Daily Multivitamin Powder Capsule||$0.32||Amazon|
|5||g||1¼||tbsp||NOW Foods Calcium/magnesium 1000/500 mg||$0.22||Amazon|
|5||g||5½||tsp||NOW Foods MSM Sulfur Powder||$0.17||Amazon|
|20||g||2||tbsp||Psyllium Husk Powder||$0.41||Amazon|
|110||g||⅞||cup||Corn flour, masa, enriched, yellow||$0.43||Amazon|
Total Daily Cost:
|$6.30||Add Ingredients |
to Amazon Cart
Designed for steady lean mass gain while exercising ~ 5 days / week. ~130g protein per day (adjust freely based on body weight to roughly .8-1g/lb). Current ratio for macronutrients is 40/30/30 carbs, protein, fat. This is the ideal ratio for Mesomorphs trying to gain lean mass or lose fat while maintaining muscle. Macros can be adjusted based on your goals. I am trying to keep the daily caloric intake below 2000 calories because I plan on using this recipe for only 1-2 meals a day, eating real food for 1-2 meals and snacking on top of that.
Original recipe from Glint used a mix of Maltodextrin and Oat Flour to increase carbohydrates without affecting micronutrients. I found it more effective to mix Oat Flour with Masa Harina (Corn Flour) because of the high glycemic index associated with Maltodextrin. This 50/50 mix allows for greater carbohydrate content without affecting the micronutrient balance.
Majority of this documentation is taken from Glint's Superfood V3 page.
Recommended Preparation Protocol:
1) Measure out and combine all dry powder ingredients (i.e. everything except oil) in bag or jar (1-gallon ziplock bags work well). Each container holds one day of food. Best to prepare ~7 containers at a time (assembly line style). Tip: pull open multivitamin capsules and dump the powder contents into the mix.
2) Shake a few times to mix evenly. Can store dry powder indefinitely in air-tight container.
3) When ready to consume, mix contents of one bag with ~ 2.5 liters of water (blender is fastest). After mixing with water, add oil, and mix / blend / shake again. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days in air-tight container.
4) Store in refrigerator, consume as desired throughout the day. Shake once or twice each time before consuming as some mild settling may have occurred (can use Xanthan Gum to avoid settling if desired).
Should still drink water in addition to consuming superfood.
If just looking to "try out" this recipe, buy the smaller (and much cheaper) versions of ingredients. Ingredients are linked to the largest bulk order possible (eg. 50 lbs of flour) so as to minimize the per-day cost, but this creates a very large start-up cost for someone just looking to try it for a day or two.
Can mix up fractions of a bag instead of an entire bag at a time, if desired, for just a single meal instead of an entire day of food (in which case, can "eyeball" how much oil to add -- not important if too much / little, or if completely omitted if eating other food).
Consistency will vary slightly within the first several hours after blending (from grittier to slightly smoother and higher viscosity).
If wishing to vary overall caloric content, do so by proportionally changing the macronutrient ingredients only (whey protein, oat flour, corn flour, and soybean oil). Leave the other ingredients the same, to ensure complete nutrition remains.
Can vary how much water added to control thickness / consistency of shake.
- Make sure you use Enriched corn flour, otherwise the recipe will not reach the target iron levels.
- Can optionally add Xanthan Gum. It reduces settling and separation over time for the blended up mix. However, I personally prefer to omit the Xanthan Gum, as I do not like the gel-like texture it causes after a few hours.
- Increase sodium (salt) content to account for high activity levels (i.e. lots of sweating).