|Amount||Volume||Ingredient||$ / day||Source|
|100||g||1||cup||Vanilla Rice Protein||$2.28||Amazon|
|96||g||1||cup||Gluten-Free Oat Flour||$0.75||Amazon|
|60||g||½||cup||Whey Protein Isolate||$1.63||Amazon|
|10||g||1||tbsp||Psyllium Husk Powder||$0.21||Amazon|
|1||pill||1||capsule||One Daily Superfood Multivitamin||$0.32||Amazon|
Total Daily Cost:
|$7.30||Add Ingredients |
to Amazon Cart
Recommended Scale: American Weigh 2kg @ 0.1g Scale
- Mix 10-20 days' worth of psyllium husk powder, potassium citrate, iodized salt, calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, and choline bitartrate into big batches, taking care to make sure it is very well mixed.
- Soak chia seeds in 2c water in a good blender (KitchenAid or Vitamix recommended) for at least an hour.
- Weigh out 27g dry mix plus listed weights for rice protein, whey protein and oat flour.
- Blend soaked chia seeds on high until the mixture becomes milky white with only fine chia seed particles left, then add the multivitamin capsule and canola oil.
- Switch blender to low and add cold, filtered water until mixture reaches the 6c mark.
- With blender still on low, slowly add dry ingredients until all have been incorporated.
- Top up with cold, filtered water until mixture reaches 8c in total volume (~250 calories per cup).
Keep the shake in the fridge or use an insulated container. This shake tastes best when served cold.
Why this recipe works so well:
- Blending soaked chia seeds greatly improves bioavailability of vital Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds & psyllium husk powder act as emulsifiers, holding the oil/water/powder mixture in suspension.
- High protein and fat from multiple sources plus low carbs equals long-lasting energy.
- Balanced Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids (1.5:1 ratio) from canola oil and chia seeds prevents a range of autoimmune, inflammation and other conditions thought to result from Omega 6-heavy western diet (typically 15:1 ratio). This may be the most important benefit of this recipe.