|Amount||Volume||Ingredient||$ / day||Source|
|60||g||3.2||cups||Rice, white, puffed||$0.66||nuts.com|
|115||g||1.0625||cups||Nuts, almonds (1.0625 cup = 1 cup 1 tbsp)||$2.53||nuts.com|
|15||g||⅓||cup||Bananas, freeze dried||$0.52||north bay trading|
|60||g||2¼||cups||Raspberries, freeze dried||$6.56||north bay trading|
|15||g||¾||cup||Blackberries, freeze dried||$1.16||north bay trading|
|30||g||⅓||cup||Milk, dry, nonfat, instant, without added vitamin A and vitamin D||$0.46||nuts.com|
|7||g||1⅓||tbsp||Spinach (powdered)||$0.38||north bay trading|
|20||g||2||tbsp||Seeds, chia seeds, dried||$0.35||nuts.com|
|35||g||3⅔||tbsp||Wheat, KAMUT khorasan, ground from wheat berries||$0.31||nuts.com|
Total Daily Cost:
|$13.64||Add Ingredients |
to Amazon Cart
*Note: These instructions are different than previous bars
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Line 13x9 baking dish with parchment.
- Put the following non-powder/non-fine grain ingredients into baking dish.
- Puffed rice
- Puffed millet
- Freeze dried bananas
- Freeze dried raspberries
- Freeze dried blackberries
- Mix the following liquid ingredients in bowl (I use kitchen aid) and blend.
- Water (1/2 cup)
- If I have not already ground my Kamut wheat berries into flour, I use my blender (Blendtec) to do so.
- If I have not already ground my freeze dried spinach into a powder, I use my blender (Blendtec) to do so.
- Mix the following powdered/fine grain ingredients into liquid ingredients.
- Dried milk
- Chia seeds
- Ground wheat
- Pour liquid/powder mixture evenly over dry ingredients then stir till coated.
- Use flat of spatula to tightly pack the mixture down.
- Bake for 20 min.
- Flip bars over and cook for additional 10 min.
- May need to pull them out and wait a couple of min to be able to handle them enough to flip.
- I pull them out of the oven using the parchment and place them on a cutting board. I then place another board on top. Then I flip the boards with the bars inside. I peel the parchment off, what is now the top and put it back into the baking dish. Finally I slide the upside down bars back into the dish.
Reasons and Goals
*see recipe "Agrovittles: Electric Green Energy Bars" for my theories on 'full spectrum'
Notes on Nutrients and Calculations
This recipe uses chromium (ug) to mean sugar (g). I have not been on completefoods.co for a couple of years and in that time have started keeping a low sugar diet. I have been keeping my sugar below 4g per 100 cals. I am also suspicious of peanuts in making me feel less than optimal so they were removed. Dairy was decreased as well and for similar reasons.
*see recipe "Agrovittles: Electric Green Energy Bars" for my reasons for using the nutrient profiles that I do. Certain nutrients with RDI values are left out for various reasons, one of which is the USDA not testing foods for those ingredients.
- Find out if adding chia after (Pour liquid/powder mixture evenly over dry ingredients then stir till coated) to keep them from falling to bottom of baking dish.
v0.1: Calculate wholeness.
v1.0: Too much bulk, not enough stickiness. Swap puffed wheat with ground wheat. Incremented version to indicate that this recipe has been tried and is ready for prime time. The puffed rice looks like teeth, crocodiles are green and the berries are a strong part of this taste, thus the name changed to Crocodile Berry Bars.
v1.1: Not enough bulk. Reintroduced 50% puffed Kamut. Reduced ground Kamut by 50%.
v1.2: Want wider range of grains. Replaced puffed Kamut with puffed millet. Added volumes to ingredients.