|Amount||Volume||Ingredient||$ / day||Source|
|200||g||Masa harina (Maseca brand only)||$0.40||local (Albertsons)|
|22||g||GNC Mega Men® Sport - Vanilla Bean||$0.98||Amazon|
|6||g||NOW Foods Calcium/magnesium 1000/500 mg||$0.29||Amazon|
|14||g||Vitamin World psyllium husk seed||$0.37||Vitamin World|
|105||g||3||scoop||CytoSport 100% Whey Protein - Vanilla||$1.54||Costco|
Total Daily Cost:
|$4.43||Add Ingredients |
to Amazon Cart
Bodybuilder Chow is based on People Chow 3.0.1 with optimized protein, Cytosport whey, and Canola oil.
- Version 1.4 - added psyllium husk for fiber and 300 calories more corn flower for more complete micros.
- Version 1.3 - Divided the ingredients into 2 separate recipes, a drink and a food. The food can be baked into cornbread. The drink contains zero fiberous grit.
- Version 1.2 - Hated the constant gritty texture and ever present tortilla flavor from the People Chow recipe so I decreased the corn flour by 60% and increased the oil by 70% to make up for some of the calorie loss. Ditched the vitamin K supplements too because 90% RDI of K sounds like plenty to me.
- Version 1.1 - added vitamin K supplement since the canola oil only provides 70% RDI
- is used in the official Soylent.
- has the healthiest ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 (1:2) of any oil available (besides flaxseed oil, but flaxseed oil contains no vitamin K, and is very expensive). This means it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Canola (a.k.a. rapeseed) is of the same family as superfoods kale and broccoli.
- Has lower saturated fat than any other oil. http://www.canolainfo.org/quadrant/media/health/images/bug-fatchart.gif
- its healthy fats work to lower your cholesterol.
- It is a clear choice unless you subscribe to popular fears of GMOs and processed foods.
- The only potential downside is the 0.2g of trans fat per 50g, and there's no evidence of harm at such low levels. After all, tiny amounts of trans fats also occur in nature.
For the same amount of protein, Cytosport 100% Whey from Costco is $0.26/day less expensive than the whey isolate used in the official People Chow 3.0.1 recipe. Calculating the sulfer in the whey is done by this formula: 0.27 × Cysteine mass + 0.21 × Methionine mass which for cytosport whey is .27 × 615 + .21 × 565 = 285mg. However, the RDI requirement is for sulfur-containing amino acids (SAA), not sulfur dirextly, so the correct formula should be: Cysteine mass + Methionine mass or 1.18g. http://discourse.soylent.me/t/sulfur-in-cysteine-and-methionine/10626/4 http://www.cytosport.com/products/100-whey/?tab=technical
My nutrient profile says to eat 2700 calories so I'll be making up the remaining calories from regular food. Make sure you generate your own calorie/nutrient profile https://www.completefoods.co/diy/nutrient-profiles/calculator
Adjust your protein to 0.8g/lb (or 1.8g/kg) of your total body weight for optimum muscle gain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)#Dietary_requirements
Fat should be 25-35% of total caloric intake. Saturated fat, no more than 5-7%.
Fiber is 14g per 1000 kcals consumed. Additional food will make up the remaining fiber.
For the best price, all Amazon listed items include free shipping. Get the whey at Costco or replace it with something else. The remaining items should be picked up locally. You can also further bring down the daily cost by buying bulk quantities of some of the Amazon items. I didn't want to commit to the bulk items on my first attempt.
Converting weight to volume
|Ingredient (conversion reference)||Volume (weight)|
|Corn flour (measured 133g = 1 cup)||200g = 1½ cups|
|Whey (36g = 90cc scoop)||108g = 3 scoops (loose, slightly rounded)|
|Mega Men Sport (18g = 33cc scoop packed = 0.14 cups packed)||22g = 0.17 cups = 1 scoop (18g) + ½ Tbs (or 1½ tsp) packed|
|Calcium/magnesium (0.9g = ¼ tsp)||6g = 1½ tsp (5.4g) + ⅔ of a ¼ tsp|
|Potassium citrate (measured 230g = 1 cup, Bag = 10g)||6g = .026 cups = 1¼ tsp|
|Iodized salt (1.5g = ¼ tsp)||4g = ½ tsp (3g) + ⅔ of a ¼ tsp|
|Choline bitartrate (662mg = ¼ tsp)||2g = ¾ tsp|
|Canola oil (14g = 1 Tbs)||84g = 6 Tbs|
Total dry mix = 278g (without oil) (I ended up with 290g today, my measurements must be off)
For easier reading:
|Corn flour||1½ cups|
|Whey||3 scoops (loose, slightly rounded)|
|Mega Men Sport||1 scoop packed + ½ Tbs (or 1½ tsp) packed|
|Calcium/magnesium||1½ tsp + ⅔ of a ¼ tsp|
|Potassium citrate||1¼ tsp|
|Iodized salt||½ tsp + ⅔ of a ¼ tsp|
|Choline bitartrate||¾ tsp|
|Canola oil||6 Tbs|
v1.3 Mixing Directions
Step 1: Mix ⅔ of the whey, ½ the oil, and all the mega men sport. Add ice & water for a cool vanilla beverage. (~700 kcals)
Step 2: Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add just enough water to make a dough. Add some apple sauce for necessary deliciousness. This can then be eaten like a cold bowl of frosting or baked into perfect cornbread (¼ tsp baking soda may be necessary for baking). (~1300 kcals)