Vegan Fuel Keto (1800 calories)

Last updated October 6, 2016 Copy
AmountIngredient$ / daySource
77gNow Foods Non-GMO Pea Protein Powder$1.92Amazon
50gNutiva Organic Hi-Fiber Hemp Protein Powder$1.20Amazon
48gNutiva Organic Ground Chia Seeds$1.05Amazon
30gNutribiotic Organic Rice Protein Powder$0.86Amazon
15gNavitas Naturals Organic Cacao Powder$0.55Amazon
24gNow Foods Potassium Gluconate Powder$0.62Amazon
32gJustin's Classic Peanut Butter$0.33Amazon
14.8mlLekithos All Natural Liquid Sunflower Lecithin$0.49Lekithos
22.5mlChosen Foods Avocado Oil$0.35Amazon
15mlCanada Hemp Foods Organic Hemp Oil$0.30Amazon
15mlBarlean's Organic Flax Oil$0.56Amazon
22.5mlNow Foods MCT Oil$0.49Amazon
15mlSimply Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract$0.86Amazon
940mlFiltered water$0.00Tap water and a decent water filter
5pillDEVA Vegan DHA-EPA Delayed Release Omega 3 Algae Capsules$1.22Amazon
3pillFreeda SCD Multivitamin$0.45Amazon
3pillNow Foods Red Mineral Algae$0.15Amazon
3pillPure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate$0.54Amazon
2pillJarrow Alpha GPC$0.76Amazon
1pillPure Encapsulations Copper Glycinate$0.15Amazon
1pillPure Encapsulations Potassium Iodide$0.12Amazon
1pillSolgar Chelated Molybdenum$0.07Amazon
1pillCountry Life K1$0.08Amazon
1pillBlueBonnet Vegetarian K2$0.34Amazon
0.6mlPure Encapsulations Vegan D3$1.86Amazon
0.25mlVeganSafe B-12$0.25Amazon
46gMiso Master Organic Red Miso$1.02Your local grocery store
Amounts for:
Total Daily Cost:
$16.60Add Ingredients
to Amazon Cart

Description

This is a vegan keto liquid diet used to replace or supplement food. It has a carb/protein/fat ratio of about 12/61/27 with net carbs at 5% and the rest of the carbs as fiber. A ketogenic diet induces and/or keeps someone in ketosis, where the body uses fat as the primary energy source instead of carbs.

The protein consists primarily of pea protein and rice protein, with more protein added from hemp and chia. The pea-to-rice ratio is 70% pea protein to 30% rice protein, which has been shown be an ideal ratio of amino acids. Hemp and chia were added primarily for fiber, but also contribute about a quarter of the total protein.

The oil blend was chosen because it provides high omega 3 (hemp, flax), low omega 6 (avocado, flax, MCT), a source of choline (sunflower lecithin), rapid absorption (MCT), anti-inflammatory (avocado, hemp, flax, MCT), some saturated fat (all, but more MCT than the others), and other benefits.

The vitamins and minerals were selected with criteria including being vegan, no starch (rice, potato, etc), no maltodextrin, no sugar, no sugar alcohol, no gums, no laxatives (you'd be surprised at how many supplements are accidental laxatives), and they had to come from a reputable company with good reviews on Amazon. I also attempted to select those which were the easiest possible forms to digest with the least risk of potential stomach upset and stomach pain, which meant minimizing chlorides and even citrates. These criteria really narrowed down the available options, and a number of vegan options are more expensive (especially for omega 3 and D3, which are both over $1/day), but I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with.

This recipe results in exactly 6.5 cups of liquid. The weight-to-volume ratio is 25% (381 g / 1538 ml). You can go higher or lower, but this results in the same calories per ounce as Soylent, and less water may result in less smoothness and more chalkiness.

Instructions

Take the ingredients starting at the top down through filtered water, and put them in a blender. I personally take the supplements below the filtered water while drinking the Vegan Fuel. The B-12 supplement should be taken in the morning sublingually on an empty stomach. I consume the miso paste by making a quick miso soup to eat 2-3 times a day to drink as an appetizer before the drink. I microwave 12-16 ounces of water for 40 seconds (warm, not hot - more than this and the temperature might kill the probiotics in the miso), mix in 1-1.5 tbsp of miso paste, and drink it out of a mug.

If you don't like the idea of taking a dozen supplements on top of the drink, you may empty the capsules into the blender and squeeze liquid from the D3 dropper into the blender as well, and take the tablets (multivitamin, molybdenum, and K1) and B-12 liquid separately. The liquid/powder from the capsules will make the drink taste worse, so I prefer to just take them as pills.

Quantities

  • 2 1/3 scoops OR 5 tbsp pea protein (77 g with the tbsp measurement being 1.1% under)
  • 5 tbsp hemp protein (50 g)
  • 4 tbsp chia seeds (48 g)
  • 2 tbsp rice protein (30 g)
  • 3 tbsp cacao powder (15 g)
  • 2 tbsp + 1 tsp potassium gluconate (24 g with 1.5% over)
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter (32 g)
  • 1 tbsp sunflower lecithin (15 ml)
  • 1.5 tbsp avocado oil (22.5 ml)
  • 1 tbsp flax oil (15 ml)
  • 1 tbsp hemp oil (15 ml)
  • 1.5 tbsp MCT oil (22.5 ml)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract (15 ml)
  • 4 cups filtered water (940 ml)

Different Versions

If you do not need to lose weight and/or do not need to be in ketosis, you should use a different version that has more carbs and less fat.

Calculation Notes

Chloride was backfilled on the miso paste based by multiplying the sodium content by 1.5, because the sodium in miso is sodium chloride.

Choline was backfilled on the sunflower lecithin based on taking the phosphatidylcholine content and multiplying by 13% to get the actual choline. Choline was also backfilled on omega fatty acids based on the same chart as the avocado oil. Additionally, choline was backfilled on the Alpha GPC based on 40% of the Alpha GPC weight. Finally, choline was backfilled on the miso paste based on 12.41 mg/tbsp from this page: (http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=37).

Copper was backfilled on the miso paste based on 0.70 mg/17.19 g from this page: (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=114).

Iodine was backfilled on the red mineral algae calcium supplement based on 32.8 ug/g (with 3.5 g of Aquamin) from this study: (http://aquamin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/6.-Bone-Aslam-et-al.-2010.pdf).

Manganese was backfilled on the miso paste based on 0.15 mg/17.19 g from this page: (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=114).

Omega fatty acids were backfilled on the avocado oil based on this handy omega 3/6/9 chart I found: (https://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm).

Phosphorus was backfilled on the pea protein based on 0.37%, which is the lowest number found here: (https://books.google.com/books?id=6btpFSV1T2YC&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=pea+protein+phosphorus) - it's possible it might be as high as 1.2%, but we're more interested in the min, not the max. Phosphorus was also backfilled on the sunflower lecithin based on 4% by weight from this study: (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.sci-hub.cc/doi/10.1111/sdi.12042/abstract;jsessionid=7E27B604286C9D450AD82A732EA59AD9.f04t02). Finally, phosphorus was backfilled on the miso paste based on 27.33 mg/17.19 g from this page: (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=114).

Sulfur was backfilled on the protein powders as the combination of methionine and cystine, since those are sulfur-containing amino acids, and the 2g requirement was intended for SAAs. For split pea protein, cystine is 1.52% and methionine is 1.03%, for a total SAA of 2.55%, although we're using the amino acid numbers straight off the Now Foods container since it's published. For rice protein, cystine is 1.21% and methionine is 2.25%, for a total SAA of 3.46%, although we're using the amino acid numbers straight off the Nutribiotic container since it's published. The percentages were taken from nutritiondata.self.com.

Vitamin K was backfilled on the miso paste based on 5.04 ug/17.19 g from this page: (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=114).

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Day
16% Carb, 26% Protein, 58% Fat
Calories1800
% Daily Values*
258%
Total Carbohydrate78g
157%
Dietary Fiber 47g
103%
Protein124g
101%
Total Fat121g
Saturated Fat31g
Monounsaturated Fat22g
Polyunsaturated Fat48g
698%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids11g
1068%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids21g
Cholesterol0mg
Calcium
140%
Vitamin A
100%
Chloride
144%
Vitamin B6
2500%
Chromium
167%
Vitamin B12
250%
Copper
109%
Vitamin C
1667%
Iodine
207%
Vitamin D
715%
Iron
119%
Vitamin E
673%
Magnesium
206%
Vitamin K
178%
Manganese
520%
Thiamin
3333%
Molybdenum
217%
Riboflavin
2941%
Phosphorus
154%
Niacin
500%
Potassium
101%
Folate
200%
Selenium
143%
Pantothenic Acid
1000%
Sodium
101%
Biotin
100%
Sulfur
123%
Choline
118%
Zinc
126%
 
* Percent Daily Values are based on "Keto DRI - Low Carb, High Fiber, High Fat, Adjusted Vitamins and Minerals (1800 calories)". You may use the Nutrient Calculator to personalise your own profile, then select it from the list on the Recipe Editor tab.
Nutrient Profile: Keto DRI - Low Carb, High Fiber, High Fat, Adjusted Vitamins and Minerals (1800 calories)Change

No reviews yet - why not add the first one?

Add Review